As I get more involved with this process, I am learning so much more about what is going on in the Pet Food industry. There are 5 major players in the pet food world
- Mars (yes the candy bar company) owns 41 brands of dog food including: Iams, Eukanuba, Evo, Royal Canin, Pedigree, Nutro, Natural Choice, Greenies, Whiskas, Ceasra, Dentabone and many more…my first questions is how did a candy company get involved with the Pet Food Industry? Can you say 17.8 Billion dollars? Yup, that is right they are in it to make money with their 63 plants and 15,000 employees, it’s hard to support all that production!
- Nestle (the hot chocolate company), they have over 27 brands including Purina, Beneful, Fancy Feast, Beggin Strips, Alpo, Friskies, Zukes, Bonz, Waggin Train. They have over 46 plants and over 14,000 employees AND over $12.8 Billion in revenue
- Smukers/Delmonte (the jam/jelly company & vegetables) they have over 15 brands including Milk Bone, Natural Balance, 9 Lives, Nature’s Recipe, Kibble n Bits, Pup Peroni, Gravy Train, Ole’ Roy, Skippy, Snausages, Meow Mix. They ave over 5 plants and over 2,000 employees and over $2.5 Billion in revenue
- Colgate-Palmolive (toothpaste and dish detergent) they have over 4 brands including Hill, Hills Prescription, Ideal Balance. They have over 6 plants, 2,000 employees and generate $2.3 Billion in revenue
- General Mills just bought Blue Buffalo…isn’t that wonderful? BB is the BIGGEST pet food brand on the market and they also have over 5 recalls…how is that possible?
So as I keep seeing the similarities with this companies it no wonder there hundreds of recalls on our pet’s food and the number keeps going UP! There have been cut backs, salmonella and the worst…pentobarbital the drug found in euthanized pets is now being found in dog food. When will this change?
IT STARTS HERE AND NOW! The more we keep posting, sharing, writing and STOP purchasing these brands from these companies…they will be forced to LISTEN!
Start READING YOUR DOG FOOD LABELS, INGREDIENTS AND THE GUARANTEED ANALYSIS FOR YOUR DOG FOOD!
Make sure there are no ingredients like Corn, Gluten, Wheat, Barley, Meat by-products, dyes, colors, FLAVORS instead of meat/proteins especially in the first 5 ingredients listed…stay with foods that have words and ingredients you can pronounce or recognize.
I am hear to help and be that resource you can count on for finding the right solutions for your pet…but it does start with the choices we make everyday…please remember they can chose for themselves and it up to us to MAKE BETTER CHOICES!
Take the Healthy Pet Challenge! http://bit.ly/rufflifeusa